According to homethodology, Wetumpka, Alabama is a small city located in Elmore County, approximately 16 miles north of Montgomery. The population of Wetumpka is estimated to be around 8,000 people. The city is situated along the banks of the Coosa River, and the terrain is mostly flat and low-lying. The climate in Wetumpka is typical for the southeastern United States, with hot summers and mild winters.
The history of Wetumpka dates back to 1814 when it was founded as a trading post. During the Civil War, Wetumpka served as a major supply center for Confederate forces. After Reconstruction, the economy of Wetumpka was largely based on agriculture until industrialization began in the early 1900s. Today, Wetumpka’s economy is driven by manufacturing and retail businesses.
Wetumpka has several schools within its borders including two elementary schools: Pine Level Elementary School and Redland Elementary School; one middle school: Wetumpka Middle School; and one high school: Wetumpka High School. Additionally, there are several private schools located in or near Wetumpka such as Trinity Presbyterian School and St Bede Academy.
Notable landmarks include Fort Toulouse-Fort Jackson State Historic Site which was constructed by French colonists during the 1700s; Jasmine Hill Gardens which features classical Greek sculptures; and Coosa River Adventures which offers guided kayak trips on the Coosa River. Additionally, downtown Wetumpka features historic buildings from its past such as City Hall which was built in 1895; First Baptist Church which was built in 1902; and First Presbyterian Church which was built in 1905.
Population: 5,726. Estimated population in July 2020: 6,905 (+20.6% change)
Males: 2,193 (38.3%), Females: 3,533 (61.7%)
Zip codes: 36092, 36093.
Median resident age: 37.6 years
Median household income: $35,536
Median house value: $86,400
Races in Wetumpka:
- White Non-Hispanic (67.0%)
- Black (29.0%)
- Hispanic (2.3%)
- Other race (1.4%)
- Two or more races (0.9%)
- American Indian (0.8%)
Ancestries: United States (15.3%), Irish (7.2%), English (6.2%), German (5.6%), Scottish (2.2%), Italian (1.7%).
Elevation: 177 feet
Land area: 8.5 square miles
Wetumpka, Alabama is a small town located in Elmore County with a population of 6,527 according to the 2019 U.S. Census. It is located on the banks of the Coosa River and is part of the Montgomery Metropolitan Statistical Area. The town has a rich history dating back to its founding in 1834 as a trading post along the river. The population is primarily white with African American, Hispanic and Native American populations making up about 10% of the total population. Wetumpka also has a large number of foreign-born residents from countries such as Mexico, India and Guatemala, which account for about 5% of the total population. Wetumpka is an economically diverse community with many small businesses and industries that are supported by its citizens. The median household income in Wetumpka is $37,719 with an unemployment rate of 3%. The cost of living in Wetumpka is slightly lower than the national average, making it an attractive place to live for those on a budget or looking for affordable housing options. Education in Wetumpka is provided by Elmore County Schools as well as several private schools and community colleges within driving distance from town. Overall, Wetumpka has much to offer its citizens including access to nature along the riverfront parks and trails, local eateries serving up traditional southern cuisine and friendly neighbors who enjoy living in this small town atmosphere.
For population 25 years and over in Wetumpka
- High school or higher: 72.4%
- Bachelor’s degree or higher: 15.4%
- Graduate or professional degree: 4.7%
- Unemployed: 6.2%
- Mean travel time to work: 25.3 minutes
For population 15 years and over in Wetumpka city
- Never married: 23.7%
- Now married: 44.4%
- Separated: 4.8%
- Widowed: 10.9%
- Divorced: 16.2%
0.6% Foreign born
Population change in the 1990s: +793 (+16.1%).
Hospital/medical center in Wetumpka:
- ELMORE COMMUNITY HOSPITAL (500 HOSPITAL DRIVE)
Other hospitals/medical centers near Wetumpka:
- BAPTIST MEDICAL CENTER EAST (about 12 miles; MONTGOMERY, AL)
- GREIL MEMORIAL PSYCHIATRIC HOSP (about 13 miles; MONTGOMERY, AL)
- JACKSON HOSPITAL & CLINIC INC (about 14 miles; MONTGOMERY, AL)
Airports certified for carrier operations nearest to Wetumpka:
- MONTGOMERY RGNL (DANNELLY FIELD) (about 21 miles; MONTGOMERY, AL; Abbreviation: MGM)
- TALLADEGA MUNI (about 72 miles; TALLADEGA, AL; Abbreviation: ASN)
- ANNISTON METROPOLITAN (about 76 miles; ANNISTON, AL; Abbreviation: ANB)
Other public-use airports nearest to Wetumpka:
- WETUMPKA MUNI (about 8 miles; WETUMPKA, AL; Abbreviation: 08A)
- AUTAUGA COUNTY (about 22 miles; PRATTVILLE, AL; Abbreviation: 1A9)
- REEVES (about 24 miles; TALLASSEE, AL; Abbreviation: 41A)
Amtrak station near Wetumpka:
- 18 miles: MONTGOMERY (950 W. SOUTH BLVD.) – Bus Station. Services: enclosed waiting area, public payphones, paid short-term parking, paid long-term parking, call for car rental service, call for taxi service, intercity bus service, public transit connection.
Colleges and Universities
Colleges/universities with over 2000 students nearest to Wetumpka:
- FAULKNER UNIVERSITY (about 11 miles; MONTGOMERY, AL; Full-time enrollment: 2,283)
- ALABAMA STATE UNIVERSITY (about 14 miles; MONTGOMERY, AL; Full-time enrollment: 4,359)
- COMMUNITY COLLEGE OF THE AIR FORCE (about 15 miles; MONTGOMERY, AL; Full-time enrollment: 126,963)
- AUBURN UNIVERSITY-MONTGOMERY (about 22 miles; MONTGOMERY, AL; Full-time enrollment: 3,677)
- TUSKEGEE UNIVERSITY (about 35 miles; TUSKEGEE, AL; Full-time enrollment: 2,732)
- AUBURN UNIVERSITY MAIN CAMPUS (about 51 miles; AUBURN UNIVERSITY, AL; Full-time enrollment: 19,703)
- TROY STATE UNIVERSITY-MAIN CAMPUS (about 53 miles; TROY, AL; Full-time enrollment: 9,143)
Public high schools in Wetumpka:
- WETUMPKA HIGH SCHOOL (Students: 973; Location: 1251 COOSA RIVER PKWY; Grades: 09 – 12)
- ELMORE COUNTY TECHNICAL CENTER (Location: 800 KELLY-FITZPATRICK DR; Grades: 10 – 12)
Public primary/middle schools in Wetumpka:
- WETUMPKA ELEMENTARY SCHOOL (Students: 949; Location: 510 MICANOPY ST; Grades: PK – 03)
- WETUMPKA INTERMEDIATE SCHOOL (Students: 842; Location: 1000 MICANOPY ST; Grades: 04 – 06)
- WETUMPKA JUNIOR HIGH SCHOOL (Students: 589; Location: 409 N ALABAMA ST; Grades: 07 – 08)
Library in Wetumpka:
- WETUMPKA PUBLIC LIBRARY (Operating income: $131,339; Location: 212 SOUTH MAIN STREET; 21,381 books; 1,150 audio materials; 913 video materials; 42 serial subscriptions)